The objective of the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is to develop learners’ understanding of theory and practice relating to their role in education. The qualification will provide learners with an opportunity to engage with the challenges facing professionals and policy makers in their own country. It will provide knowledge that underpins the ability to work as an effective practitioner in the education sector. The units combine both theoretical and practical knowledge in the education profession and will develop and enhance knowledge and skills in the areas of effective performance, planning and accountability, development and team working. Learners will be able to work in a variety of roles within education administration and/or management.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Education and Training qualification, learners must possess:
- Relevant NQF/QCF Level 3 Award/Diploma or at the level of GCE/GCSE or equivalent
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 4 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Higher National Certificates (HNC) and Year 1 of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programme.
The OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Education and Training qualification consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Principles, Theories and Practices of Education and Training (20 credits)
- Create Education and Training Programmes (20 credits)
- Engage Learners in the Education and Training Process (20 credits)
- Plan, Allocate and Monitor Work in Own Area of Responsibility (20 credits)
- Evaluate Education and Training Provision (20 credits)
- Reflect on and Maintain Own Skills and Practice in Education and Training (20 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Education and Training qualification provides learners with the opportunity for academic progressions to OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education Training. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to gain direct entry into Year 2 of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programme. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.